Adire mall is an ultra-modern market located in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. Ogun state is known for its food, culture and local fabrics. This market is the biggest Adire market in Africa. It is located within proximity from the popular Olumo Rock. A popular tourist attraction in Abeokuta.
Adire is not just another form of clothing, Adire is a part of the Yoruba culture and tradition. The art and culture that has been passed from generation to generation. A fashion that came as a result of scarcity. It has become one of the major sources of fashion apparel and a source of employment in the city. This practice is an age-long tradition popular within the Yoruba community at Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria. An art that has been imported to virtually every part of Yoruba land.
This trade has engaged lots of making in the craft and has created a multi-million naira industry within this community.
The Adire market is the biggest Adire market in Nigeria and Africa. It is known as the Kampala market while the locals call it the Itoku Market. It is the hub of Adire fabric in Nigeria. Abeokuta is considered the Capital of Adire fabric.
This is one of the most colourful markets in Nigeria with different fabrics.
History of Adire
Meaning of Adire
For those that did Home economics in school, You will understand the art of Adire popularly known as tie and dye or African prints. It is specially designed prints made by soaking a creatively tied fashion material into a hot boiling watered dye.
Adire fabric is a locally made traditional wear made through a process called the tie and dye. It is a process where a piece of fashion material is tied and dipped into a dye solution. The end product is a colourful fabric that will get you to fall in love with this piece of fashion artwork.
Tips when Visiting Adire Market
- Hold enough cash
- Communication within the market is mostly in the local dialects (Yoruba), pidgin English while some speak the English language.
- You may also want to go with a local guide.
- Be ready to bargain
- Compare prices from multiple stores before making a final decision, especially if you are not sure of the pricing.
Other Things to Buy at the Market
- Lovely Artworks
- Fabrics and fashion materials
- Local jewellery
- Musical Instruments like the talking drum and Beaded instruments
Other Things to do at Adire Market
- Get some lovely fashion products.
- Do window shopping
- Stop by at a local restaurant for the taste of the local delicacy called Ofada rice.
- Bring out your adventurous spirit, Hike the Olumo Rock.
- Get some artefacts
Location of Adire Market
The Adire market is situated at Itoku Abeokuta, Ogun State.